WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I love this thread! I have not had need for anything you guys are making yet, but I am getting some ideas of my own. I have made several of my own parts in the past as I have access to lathes and mills at a machine shop, but this idea of additive custom manufacture is going to open a lot of new possibilities in biking! This is just the beginning and I bet this will eventually become its own forum as it starts to really take off!
So I am happy you see that additive manufacturing has a place and can do things that machining cannot. But there are also things that can be designed that cannot be printed without support material or in separate pieces. Here is an article about a company called Charge Bikes that co-developed a set of 3D printed titanium dropouts. 3ders.org - Charge Bikes & EADS 3D printing titanium bicycle parts | 3D Printing news, the original article was from road.cc but it appears gone from their website, it was from 2012.

Originally Posted by long john
This is a just so cool. Is the software to create these parts included with the printer. I see maker bot and
dremel for 1,000. Again so cool science tec bike hacks.
Sadly no for the most part. Low end (<= $1000) usually rely on a collection of opensource software, mid to higher end consumer printers may or may not have proprietary software included (usually $1200 +), of course commercial printers are all likely proprietary. The Dremel has some good reviews for a plug and pray kind of printer, it is a copy of the Flashforge Dreamer (review) with a few less options. Makerbot, like so many others that do it their way only has both lovers and haters. They are a closed system and many Makers (that is what 3D printer people call themselves) are very against closed systems. But is is popular and it does work.

The most common Slicer/Print software used in consumer 3D printing is Repetier-Host, Cura and Slic3r. There are a slew of free and paid 3D modeling software. Here is an incomplete list of free and commercial software: http://www.3ders.org/3d-software/3d-software-list.html

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-19-15 at 08:43 AM.