Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Pretty new to long days on the saddle (did my first 40+ mile ride just over a year ago after years of commuting) but I'm happy to have grabbed this guy and put a few centuries under it's belt. One of which was going around Greenlake in Seattle 36 times

Any recommendations for better tires for long day rides?

Also excuse the weird photo quality- I playing with my phone's camera a little much
I also have a 5200, many 10s of thousands of miles on it. The paint fell off long ago and it's now natural carbon. Still has a 9-speed drive train but several parts changes. I ride Conti 4KIIs on it, 23mm, Conti 5K when those wear out, also 23mm. My Rolfs wore out the second year, been through a few wheel sets on it. I like deep alu wheels because the rims are cheap to replace myself, with CX-Ray spokes. I've ridden several 400s, doubles, and other long mountain rides on it, think the ride is just great. And yes, the 23s are fast on 23mm outside rims with aero spokes. Very durable and smooth riding bike and not slow either. Nice and stiff out of the saddle. If I were riding Texas chip seal, I'd go wider, softer tires, but I'm not. Frankly, I don't see what folks are complaining about. OTOH, they aren't all riding my bike.

Even with 23s, it's very difficult to get fenders under the fork bridge. This bike was built to go fast, not a tourer. I use SKS clip-ons with it.