Thread: 2021 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 08-12-21, 12:24 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Finished my 400K for the season, just have a 600 left. This was a route I developed... tried to pre-ride it last year but snapped a saddle rail a 100km into it and decided to head home. I didn't drive it ahead of time so there were a few gravel sections that used to be paved but have been downgraded... but it was just added spice. ~3000m of climbing. Ran into one closed bridge but thankfully it hadn't been demolished yet so it was passable. Scenery on the route is pretty great and hits some areas of the province we don't have any routes through so that's always nice.

It was hot, humid, and windy. Saw a high of 33C on my wahoo with all-day 30km/h winds which were nice when we did the first ~200k before making the way back south to the start... I didn't sleep enough, and haven't been riding enough so it was difficult to finish the last 100km. I took two naps, one was a mid-day seista on someone's shaded driveway as I felt like I'd overheat after the biggest climb on the route. I took another nap after I started having some hallucinations, the wind was blowing the trees around and I started seeing aliens and other weird stuff in the ditches, and I might have even nodded off on the bike. I stopped on a dam and lied down on the concrete observation deck, didn't even take my helmet off and got 20-30 minutes of shuteye... first time I've ever been able to sleep on the ground like that.
Likes For clasher: