Thread: Saddle Test!
View Single Post
Old 11-17-21, 09:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
My Selle Anatomica didn't do so well on a 1200k this past summer, so I signed up with a local bike shop's saddle library. Cost to sign up is $30, which goes toward the purchase of a saddle if I find one I like. Each test saddle can be checked out for just a week. For the next few months I'll be riding one 200k per month, so it's a good time to experiment. I'm going to take my time with this. I want to record impressions of each saddle (no pun intended), so I figured I'd do that here.

Complaints on the Selle, aside from general pain, included numb dangly bits for some time after the ride. Saddles with center cutout were advised, so we started there.

First up: Specialized Romin at 155mm. About width. The saddle librarian, as it were, offered to either let me browse the library and pick based on my own thinking, or to hear some advise. I chose the latter. We discussed my rides - brevets up to and including 1200k, and my past issues - pain and numbness. I asked about sit bone width, and she pulled out the sit-bone measuring device whilst generally poo-pooing the value of that particular measurement. Her advice: try different widths and see what feels good. Which is, after all, the whole point of the saddle library. She suggested starting with the Romin due to its generous center cutout, and I opted for the middle width as a starting point. This was on a Saturday. Sunday I put in a 30 mile ride, which turned out to be the only ride on this particular saddle. Between post time-change evening darkness, rain, general laziness, and my schedule, I returned in on Wednesday. I did not find it particularly comfortable, and if anything it felt narrow. I decided to try the same model, but wider.

2nd: Unfortunately the Romin at 168mm was loaned out, so I decided to go with a radically different saddle - Specialized Power 168mm. That's a short-nosed saddle with significant center cutout. Tonight I managed 18 miles, and it actually felt decent. The short nose didn't seem to have any ill effects. From what I read this saddle is designed to make super aggressive riding (i.e. pelvis rotated far forward) more comfortable. That's definitely not my form. I also read a criticism that isn't not good for long climbs, for reasons I don't really understand. I'll try to get in a 30 miler tomorrow evening, with some climbing. That is, if I can muster up the willpower to go out in the rainy darkness.
Closing out the Specialized Power at 168mm, I never got out for a hilly ride, but got three rides in for about 50 miles total. I definitely liked it better than the 155mm Romin, and I could see giving this saddle a long test. But it's due back before the weekend, so if I want a longer ride it will have to be another time.

3rd: Fizik Tempo Argo at 160mm. I wanted to try the 168 Romin but it's still not available. I'm going to stay with the short/wide style for a while, thus the Fizik. It's slightly longer nose than the Power, but still a short saddle. The first impression was it's more different from the Specialized than I anticipated. Full disclosure: the 10 mile trip into Portland had a glorious massive tailwind, and for the 10 mile trip home I made it about 2 miles before jumping on the Max (light rail) to beat the wind. So saddle time was limited; this weekend should be my November 200k, so it's going to get a real test. Reviews on this saddle suggest it's on the comfort end of the spectrum for Fizik. I'll try to get out on a shorter ride before jumping straight to 145 miles, but the weather looks pretty uninviting the next couple days.

Verdicts:

Specialized Romin 150mm: No, too narrow. Consider the 158mm version.
Specialized Power 168mm: Maybe. Consider for a longer test.
Fizik Tempo Argo 160mm: TBD