cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Unless you find a used bike that has seen almost no use and it is a screaming deal I would keep shopping for a good deal on a new bike. FS bikes have lots of moving parts and these can have surprisingly short life spans, meaning rebuild or replace soon after buying, when you should be able to be enjoying your bike.
Also, there is no warranty on used bikes, and the more moving parts means more that can go wrong, and things like swingarms and linkages are often not available to buy as replacement parts, so if your swingarm cracks you might be SOL (Surely Out of Luck).
I am sure many people have a different view on this than me.
Let me add a couple of my considerations...
1. Won;t go into detail, but I've been and 'environmentalist'/TreeHugger almost all my life. In the '90s I decided to buy 'used' stuff whenever I could. Lotsa reasons... Although some things just absolutely need to be 'new' (underwear, shoes, etc... LOL!)
2. I do buy 'online', but for Big stuff I prefer to have 'hands-on' , especially Bikes... We have 4 LBS in our area, and in what they have NEW for the only possible close cost bikes are the Spec Stumpy Alloy - at $2900 out the door, and a Giant Stance for the same price.... Both would prolly need upgrade in the forks within a yr or 2 - so Think another $500+ soon, not sure about the shocks, but they're no prize winners either...
...so your comments are welcome - 1. do I break my budget and just go high in initial outlay? There seem to be no 'Deals' coming on bikes - The shops can;t get enough stock to cover their possible sales... don;t think that will change for the entire coming year.
Or, maybe I just use absolute patience to find the 'screamin deal on a mostly garage kept bike, with little use..
Thanks for your considered thoughts...
Originally Posted by travbikeman
My teenage son and I had been shopping around for FS for several months now. We did have similar questions as the OP and I did compare the Polygon heavily against my now Giant Trance.
My thoughts: buy the best you can afford within your budget.
The Polygon you listed, I have read the reviews and, watched Youtube reviews and have heard nothing but good things on that bike. With exception to some minor things some reviewers upgraded, like saddles, handlbars, grips and etc....
Some reviewers do point out, that it is a bit heavier than other bikes, but it does not at all hinder the performance. There are reviewers that are completely satisfied with the Tektro Orion brakes on the bike, others want more power and upgraded.
In general, the reviewers seem to really like the geometry, components and how it rides. Seems to me it's a great bike. It was a tough decision to choose that or my Trance 3.
I too would advise against a used FS bike if you are going to pay upwards of $2000. Mainly due to warranty reasons. FYI, I am starting to see many used FS bikes on Facebook Marketplace, that look new and people still want what they paid for them. You don't get a warranty on those bikes.
I actually would suggest getting the D7 which is on sale now over buying used:
https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-pol...on-mountain-bi
Thanks...
see my notes, above...
I strongly considered the Poly Siskyu D7, still on the list...
But whatever I buy will immediately have a dropper post added... really important for the riding I do...
My Son has had the Poly Siskyu T7 for a bit over the year, and is now needing to rebuild both the fork and shock. He's a much harder rider than I, but my OLD Epic has good top level Suspension stuff - FOX fork and FOX/Spec Brain shock. They made a difference over other bikes I had and got rid of...
Can I ask you : What made you decide on the Giant Trance (which version did you buy?) over other bikes in that class ?
Thanks for your comments
Ride On
Yuri - Still thinking about the Scott Spark 970...