View Single Post
Old 01-21-22, 08:30 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute numbers 1345-1347:

Wednesday: Very cold. Air temp of 2°F with a steady 25 mph headwind made the wind chill -21°F. I arrived to work pretty frozen. The previous day the temps were in the 40s, which meant that the snow had melted all over the pavement and then when the temps suddenly dropped it all turned into sheet ice. I rode the mountain bike with studded tires because of the ice. It's interesting how before I got the fat bike I used to think my mountain bike was slow. Now it seems super easy to pedal. The ride home was fairly easy even though the weather didn't change much during the day, mainly because I had that strong wind pushing me.

Thursday: Even colder air-temp-wise at -7°F, but the wind was perfectly calm so it actually felt warmer than the previous morning. I did a split commute in the morning where I rode 1.25 miles to the bus stop, took the bus downtown and then rode another .5 miles to the client office. Temp wise I could have ridden the whole way just fine, but below -5°F my goggles ice up pretty bad and I just wasn't in the mood to fight it. Even the short ride to the bus stop was enough to start ice forming inside the goggles. By 5 PM the temp had risen to 9°F so I rode the whole way home. Another day on the studded tire mountain bike.

Friday: Air temp was 5°F with a 25 mph wind (-17°F wind chill) however I had a tail wind pushing me to the office so it wasn't bad at all. The pavement was about 95% ice free, so I decided to ride my hybrid bike and just be careful on the icy spots. Made it without dumping the bike, or even having any close calls for that matter. A warm front is supposed to come in this afternoon raising the temps to the lower 20s, however the wind will remain steady. I wanted the hybrid to make the fight against the wind easier on the way home.