View Single Post
Old 01-31-22, 03:33 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
After reading this thread, I ordered a 165mm crankset. It will be interesting to compare it to my 172.5mm one that is otherwise identical.

One thing has me a bit worried: Presumably I will need to raise the seat-post by 7.5 mm. The bike was custom-build around my sizing and presumably with the 172.5mm crankset in mind. I wonder if the bike will handle any differently. Presumably the saddle to bar drop will be the most significant change.

This experiment is primarily motivated by pedal strikes off-road with my 650b wheels (which also presumably alter the original intended geometry of the framebuilder).
It's more complicated in terms of saddle height changes, and depends on frame geometry and you saddle setback preferences. I just posted a reply to another post here about this relationship, then saw yours on a similar topic!

Edit: yes bar position will change too, but I would fist figure out the seat position and the see what you need to do to maintain a similar ridinbg position relative to the bars
Likes For Frkl: