View Single Post
Old 09-16-21, 06:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Or maybe baggy panties.
Real men bike riders know how to repair their bike on the road if need be.
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Pretty sure the quote you referenced was not meant to be an ‘implied put-down of femininity’
I agree with you that sex should not be a determining factor when choosing a bike mechanic but I also wonder about the percentage of men’s bike shop techs vs women techs.
If you needed a costly major repair on your bike and walked into a bike shop with only one choice(and no other data)as to who would do the work and there was one woman and one man behind the counter, who would you choose?
Based upon the law of averages I would think the choice is obvious and it wouldn’t imply that you are putting down women imo.

Look at the quote and tell me that isn't an implied statement that men who don't repair the bike roadside are "womanly". Obviously, that is supposed to be an insult of the men, that they are acting like women who can't fix their own bikes.

Ryda's comment is an overtly sexist comment. I agree with Maelochs that OP probably isn't to be taken too seriously, but your claim here is really an insult to everyone's intelligence. Why would you work this hard to deny the obvious?

And no, in your hypothetical, I'm working with the first tech who talks to me, this "you would" crap is nonsense. Yes, if you opt for the male tech just because he's male and reject the female simply because she's female, you are a sexist person. That averages junk is a very transparent rationalization of anti-group prejudice. And just so you know, that's not how statistics work. There is no such thing as a "law of averages" for individual skills and talents.

You're actually much worse than OP here, you should know better.
Likes For livedarklions: