rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13635 Post(s)
Liked 4,434 Times in 2,457 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
So my 16 Tarmac is finally noise free. No more random tick, tick tick sounds. Turns out it was the seat post/internal (infernal) clamp. Last Thursday I had a little time before the ride so I pulled it apart to service it in a desperate attempt to make it stop. However. When the seat post came out the clamp went in...as in ,into the seat tube. Then when I flipped it upside down only half came out. The wedge portion went up the seat tube into the head tube. And while manipulating the bike it finally came to rest in the top tube. No matter what I did it went the wrong way. Then it got stuck in the top tube. I shook it and bounced it. Finally after about 10 minutes it came free and I got it back into the head tube. But it wouldn't drop into the down tube. SO I had to pull the stem and drop the fork. Plop, there it is. I'm completely sweated through my kit by this time and getting grease everywhere from my over serviced headset. I fought with the post clamp for a half hour. Then it hit me. Lay the bike on its side. Insert the wedge and bolt parts , slide the post in. Stand it up and finish. Worked the first time. No more noise.

But, I almost missed my ride by the time I got it back together. Now that the weight of this bike is lower, I like it a lot more than I used to.

And the Spyre brakes are proving to be a hit. I like them, they work well. They don't rub, unlike the hydro units. I think they would be better with compressionless outer cable housings but for now I'm satisfied with them
Epic