Thread: ID through SN
View Single Post
Old 06-19-20, 06:09 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
ID through SN

hello everyone. I've been somewhat a lurker around c&v, folders, fg&ss, rec. gravel forums for a while, and I've seen how the community can sometimes help out. I was wondering if anybody out there can help me decipher the following serial number:
W84023556SY
It is located at the rear ND side dropout, facing outwards. The bike was bought cheaply since it was an ecclectic collection of parts (and was destined to become a fixed gear training/errands bike), so no attention was paid to any of the components. In a previous attempt to Id. the bike, I was somewhat convinced that it was a 1968 Royce Union Ten Speed "Racer", but only clue were three pictures from a coop that specialized on refurbishing bikes as single speeds and flipping them. Did not posted pictures as the bike is a light blue color (sea foam, from Krylon I think), making it hard to capture the stamping details. It has "ornate" headtube and seattube lugs, but plain straight cut BB lug. The rear dropouts are stamped (I know, cheap and mass produced) but the seat and chain stays are rounded. I removed the brazed-on brake and derailers cable stops. The rear brake cable ran from the TT's underside (not centered; more to the DS) and the shofters went either side of the DT's underside. The FD cable guide was also removed from the top of the BB. No water bottle bosses, but have a pair of threaded eyelets on each rear dropout for fender and rack mounts. I went through the asian serial numbers sticky, but my serial number does not match any of the manufacturers there. Can anyone help?