Thread: Am I mad?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-20, 10:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
When I ride at night commuting home,I am more worried about hitting pedestrians/evening joggers than I am about getting hit by cars. Pedestrians don't have lights, often cross roads at odd angles, and are near invisible until they step into the relatively narrow field of light my bike lights create. I have had a number of near misses with joggers, whom I didn't see and who didn't see me despite my lights, suddenly crossing my path
A jogger (or car or anyone else) crossing your path at right angles, ie coming out of a sidestreet or driveway or crossing the road may not see enough of the beam of a narrow bike headlight to have any idea we are coming; not until they are about to step or drive in front of us. And their light or headlight isn't being reflected back by anything we have. I get around this by wearing blinkies on the forward corners of my hips; really visible to anyone who turns their head to look for cars. (Both sides. I fear left turners the most.) I put them on the straps for my night vest. Cars wait for me and are looking at me as I pass. In my early days with these lights, I rode home one evening minus my headlight. Entered right of way intersections very slowly so I wouldn't get hit by the cars turning left across my path or pulling out on my right - until I realized I had to just keep riding. Everyone else just waited for me!

Ben