View Single Post
Old 11-28-22, 01:59 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by ser_gio
I have a vintage Italian-made Bianchi mountain bike from 1992. The original seat post was too short and rusty. I replaced it with a 27.2mm diameter post. The post fit but it did require quite a bit effort, some light pounding and twisting. Now its is too tight and hard to remove (not that I need to remove nor adjust). Unfortunately, I did not check the diameter mark on the original post before I discard it. From the manufacturer's specs, I see that they used 26.8, 27.0 or 27.2 mm seat post for that bike. Should I buy a 27.0 mm seat post to replace the one that I already installed? Would 27.2 mm seat post fit if the original size was 27.0 mm? Would 27.0 mm slip now that I installed/forced 27.2 mm into it? Thank you for your feedback. I kept thinking about this since my install.
Consider how rusty that old seat post is... the Seat Tube will be likewise rusted.
the tube needs to be cleaned up and carefully measured with an Accurate Device and practiced hands.
If you don't have a way to do this, take it to someone that does.
Likes For maddog34: