Old 04-19-17, 07:57 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by thetiniestbike
Could you tell me more about those five 26" sizes? I really just don't hear a lot about them, so anything you'd like to share would be appreciated.
The standard reference is this:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

The sizes I had in mind are as follows:
559 mm, 26 x 1.75 [or almost any number expressed as a decimal] = the mountain bike or cruiser size.
571 mm, 26 x 1, more commonly called 650c.
584 mm, 26 x 1 1/2, more commonly called 650b and now also called 27 1/2 just to make things interesting .
590 mm, 26 x 1 3/8, sometimes called 650a, this is the old English three speed size, also known as EA3.
597 mm, 26 x 1 3/8 if it's a Schwinn, or 26 x 1/4 if it's an old English racing bike, also known as EA1

All of the above tire sizes are still made, and rims of all but the last one are still made. There are also obsolete 26" sizes, but let's not get too far into the weeds!

Originally Posted by thetiniestbike
And the longness was a big part of why I nixed building off of an '80s-90s mountain bike frame--I might get the standover height, but reach never looks comfortable for the riding I'd like to do. And I like projects plenty, but finding a dependable 24" vintage frame I like and then building it up with 26" wheels sounds like it might border on an ordeal.

Sadly, I agree.

Something I would definitely recommend is: a folding bike. I suggest this because:
1. with their small wheels (usually 20") they are adaptable to any size rider.
2. they are made for serious commuters, and accordingly are available at a wide range of price points; you are not stuck with a cheap kid's bike if that's not what you want.
3. the market for folding bikes is now large enough that a surprising array of accessories and replacement parts are available, including high quality tires. Just sticking with the common 20" size (406 mm; there is also a larger 20" size which I would avoid), you can get tires as narrow as 1" or as wide as 2" or even bigger; you can even get studded winter tires in this size.
4. oh, yeah, and they fold up. You can take them on a commuter train at rush hour. Until you've done this, you haven't experienced true freedom!