View Single Post
Old 01-29-23, 11:56 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
With your hands in the drops, there is downward pressure on the bar.
If you are talking about the part of the bar just behind the brake levers, I can agree that it is downward pressure. But the part of the drops that is further back and closer to the rider is similar to the hoods area- your hand pressure is pushing forward.
Originally Posted by Koyote
This is why handlebars are wrapped from the bottom towards the top -- so that the edges are facing downward in the drops. Seriously, go into ANY bike shop on the planet and look at the new bikes -- I can practically guarantee that you will not find a single one with the drops wrapped as in your photos. But if it works for you, knock yourself out.
People do it the way it's typically done because:
1. People have this binary thinking of either starting from the bottom or starting from the top. They don't think of starting from the middle and going out towards both ends.
2. If you wrap from bottom up, you are favoring the hoods area. If you wrap from the top down, you are favoring the drops area. Most people spend most of their time on the hoods. Hence bottom up. It's a compromise. Whereas if you start from the middle like I am doing here, it works for both the drops and the hood. No compromise necessary.