Old 06-21-22, 05:18 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,186 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I wish! I'm sure that the topography helps quite a bit - maybe less sprawl? I live towards the western edge of the metro area, defined loosely by the loop of the interstate bypass, but it still takes me more than an hour of riding until traffic controls are few and far between. Bam's neck of the woods is, comparatively speaking, wonderfully wide open... it's just too bad about the limited shoulders and occasionally homicidal drivers.
Homicidal drivers only appear on two sections of road. News Road which we have discussed before, and Monticello. I avoid both, but the scalpers live in Newport News not Williamsburg and I was following them that day. After the ride I told them they needed to make some changes.

Interestingly enough, most cyclist not from immediate Williamsburg area hate Centerville. That’s the one road I feel the safest on. Wide shoulder that is designated as a bike lane. I do find it unnerving when a car passes me with plenty of space, only to drive completely onto the bike lane 100 feet ahead of me. Obviously on their cell phone.