Old 08-29-12, 01:29 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, more beginners questions.

I've scoped out a 10k TT circuit close to home. Four laps for 40k, which I aim to ride a couple of times a month as previously advised. It's a moderately technical circuit and slightly lumpy - no real climbs, but undulating sections that feel plenty taxing when I'm at threshold.

Now, I understand that ideally I want to keep the effort as consistent as possible rather than overcook it and then have to recover. The corners and gradients make that tough to do, though. Staying at full bore on the downhills isn't easy (or possible, as one approaches the corners) and obviously if one maintains a consistent effort one loses a bit of momentum on th uphill sections. So, two questions arise:

1. in general (I appreciate this may vary from course to course) is it a good idea to go a little over threshold to maintain speed on the uphills? Making the ride a bit like a criss-cross interval? Or should I just swallow the loss of speed and stay patient?

2. My instinct on coming out if the corners is to sprint briefly to get back up to speed asap. Good idea? Or does it make more sense to gather pace more gradually and minimise the risk of redlining?

Clearly, I'll be experimenting with these different approaches and seeing what seems to work best. But I'd be interested to hear the voices of experience...