Old 05-22-15, 05:45 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
@Metacortex, are you sure about that CT-3 tool? The link you provided for the United Maillard freewheel tool looks right, but the link for the CT-3 doesn't appear to be the right tool (low, flat splines instead of the angled splines seen on the OPs freewheel).
I'm positive. I have both tools and while the CT-3 does look strange with flat shallow splines it does engage perfectly. At first I thought it would be weak and possibly strip but I've used it multiple times with an impact gun to remove these freewheels.

The Park FR-4 is only 21.6mm in dia. and with 20-splines it doesn't come close to matching the 30mm dia./24-spline Maillard/CT-3 tool.

The confusion stems from the fact that older Atom/Maillard freewheels did use the smaller spline tool. For the freewheels supplied to Schwinn they changed to the large spline version (Model F2) in mid-'73. Below are pics of a '71 to mid-'73 vintage Model F and a '75+ vintage Model F3 freewheel. Both the F2 and F3 versions have the same large spline hole.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Model F3 top (Medium).JPG (49.8 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg
Model F top (Medium).JPG (49.1 KB, 351 views)
Likes For Metacortex: