Old 08-10-19, 03:06 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphabet
Ty ooga-booga, I will try that route next time. And I dislike Harbor dr. heading north to barrio logan very much starting at 32nd. For my next ride I think I will head to kensington to try the path along the 15.

believe it or not, harbor is actually better now than it used to be. still has a long ways to go before it can be categorized as "nice."

the bike path paralleling the 15 fwy from mission valley to kensington is nice but not super handy. more convenient heading south/uphill vs north /downhill.
it's roughly a mile west to texas street/qualcomm way (or whatever it's called these days) at the base or a half mile east to the edge of fairmont dr. before
getting involved in the dangerous imbroglio that is the fairmont/8 fwy interface, regardless of a northern or southern approach.

when you make it up to the kensington area, you may actually enjoy cycling the flattish, low traffic, low speed streets north of adams ave. more than the bike path alongside
the 15 fwy. lots of streets in that neighborhood with some curves, nice homes and gardens. if you want to expand this kind of ride, you can do so by adding the normal heights
neighborhood to the west and the talmadge neighborhood (north of monroe ave.) to the east. south of adams ave, there is more traffic. just by riding the streets along the edges
closest to mission valley to the north, you can construct a nice ride adding an additional 10 miles in those three neighborhoods east of texas st., west of 54th/collwood st, and north
of adams ave. plenty of solid places along adams ave. to grab grog or grub and there are 3 bike shops in the normal heights area on adams ave. if you run into a cycling "issue."
i call it the mission valley rim ride and if you add the university heights area (north of madison ave.) immediately west of normal heights and go all the way to collwood/54th ave near
sdsu, you can stretch it out to a flattish 25 mile ride with a little less than half of it being in kensington north of adams ave.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-10-19 at 03:12 AM.