Old 04-27-20, 01:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Total Newbie
Linerbl, why do you prefer the Dahon? Is the Broadway classic the same as the Broadway S1? For 100 dollars more I could get a Dahon MU D9 of is that overkill for what I need? I want a comfortable reliable ride, portability and easy storage. Oh, forGot to mention that I have a few herniated discs... which is why I no longer run... so a smooth ride is imperative.
The Dahon classic was already over your desired budget but the showroom model was a great deal. I have a Dahon Mu (single speed) and I absolutely love it. I removed the stupid seatpost with the pump inside and replaced it with a nice lightweight post and put shortie swept back bars on it. It weighs just under 21 lbs. It's not my main rider (that is my Bike Friday pakiT and under 19lbs) but I use it when I know I will have to lock up (lotsa bike theft and it was way less expensive than my BF) and to pull my Burley Travoy trailer when shopping (I sold my car). It's a pretty comfortable ride, it's an aluminum frame and imo the steel frame is a bit more forgiving so that's another plus for the Classic. But if the Dahon Mu 9 speed is in your budget, it would not be a bad choice at all! It's a very good bike.
I also have back issues, and the smart thing to do when you're going over big bumps/potholes you can see in advance (and even curb transitions) is to stand up on the pedals a little bit. Get your butt off the saddle and take the bump in the legs. For me, it's a old habit from mountain bike on rigid bikes, but it is a smart thing to do - it's good to stand and shift the muscles. You can get a thing called a "thud buster" to absorb shock at the seat if you find it a problem later on - works with just about any bike.
Likes For linberl: