View Single Post
Old 04-29-20, 11:38 AM
Total Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
I'm a few days late to this party, but I figured I'd chime in.

You've posted your query under "folding bikes". I own a Swift (more commonly sold as "Xootr"). I like it and I recommend it, but maybe not (yet) for you.

You also mention you're a "newbie". Once upon a time, all of us were; no problem with that.

Considering your "newbie" status and that you live in Manhattan (you mention biking along the Hudson), as a first step, try sticking your toe in the water by checking out Citibike. Your only initial commitment can be a single ride ($3) or a one-day rental ($12). The downsides: even though you're not schlepping one of these things up to your apt., they're heavy. Even though the seat height is adjustable, I've heard from many folks that it's not "one size fits all". On the plus side, Citibikes are rock-solid-stable. This is under "folding bikes". Some folders can be ... squirrelly.

Yep, I own a Swift. I like it, and I recommend it, but with Citibike as an alternative, I rarely ride my own bike.
I used to bike the Boardwalk on Long Island and have rented in NYC. The city bikes are so big and heavy and clunky to ride I hate them. So I would rent from shops. The Swift isn’t being manufactured anymore and I think I’ll stick with a popular brand in case the bike needs work / parts down the line. I’ll also find a local shop that is the brands dealer.
I will be spending more than initially expected. Covid makes biking more appealing - even when subways are “cleared” why commute if you don’t have to? So I’m looking at the Mariner 8 and the MU D9. But still open for brand/model suggestion.