cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Ya, a lot of times, I focus on the lines too. My biggest concern is hitting rocks big enough to puncture tires. I've wondered if anybody made something like a reverse periscope, something where I can keep my head down but see the road in front of me. I could get a lot lower tomorrow if it weren't for having to bend my neck to see where I'm going.
I just happened to pick up a pair of used shoes in good shape pretty cheap. Sidi(?), I think they're a size 9 (men's). I have quite a bit of room in the toe so I cut up an old sock and stuffed it in there. Far from a permanent solution, but I bought them more to test the theory. If I see the advantages everybody else swears by, then I'll pony up for some new ones that actually fit me.
Originally Posted by beng1 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEaN9FKGLE
Thanks for this video. I have been skeptical of how much clips and shoes really add as far as power. I get more stability and control, but putting power in, I just didn't see they would be such a huge advantage. This more or less confirms that. My biggest, only really, complaint with using flat pedals is just my foot moving around as I pedal. I do notice that I have to frequently reposition my foot on the pedal, especially after an incline where I've had to stand up and mash on the pedals. Seems my feet really move around then.
Good vision is key to riding as well as you can, as fast as you can. You've been given a bunch of ideas to improve your position and posture on the bike. Many of them will help you're ability to see and make good choices - in time...

Shoes need to fit, whatever you decide to use. Ill fitting shoes are a step backwards from the outset.
I've not reviewed those studies pointed out in the youtube vid, but I expect they are a narrow focus (and important to be that) and don't cover the various aspects of road riding. The video by a mountain biker, and certainly there are plenty of aspects of flat pedals which would provide equal function... The more involved one is in performance road cycling, the more the benefits of 'clipless' can apply. Not gonna outline because that's way to much.
Your Sidi shoes will require cleats and with pedals to match. It's a 'system'. Improper sized shoes will restrict the ability to properly position the cleats for your pedaling dynamics.
Moving to clipless can be frustrating and frightening for many - so some active help from someone experienced, from the start of putting the system together, putting the cleats in a good position for you, and tips and help for those many first rides - super important.
I can't believe that being able to stuff socks into your cycling shoes is going to be anything close to an 'improvement'.
I fear a greater chance of frustration and unsatisfaction if you struggle with this alone. Better to put off until you can give anything you're best shot.
Even though I noted in my earlier post that good cycling shoes would be a point of great improvement (and I still very much believe that); dialing in your position (to include saddle position) and posture would be quicker in bringing improvements.
Get help from local triathletes with some experience.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: Oh and, this is not scientific study, just real world experience from experienced road riders...
and when they say 'science', they love to be Brit tongue-in-check...
real life... go look at and talk to the top finishers in any Tri you do, ask them about their bikes, shoes, pedal systems - anything.
Hear what they say about clipless vs flats...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-26-22 at 10:24 PM.