Old 09-16-22, 08:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'll pull to the right after a blind curve, but I never wave the motorist to pass. It's up to the overtaking vehicle to decide if it's safe to pass or not.

If it's an uphill curve, I'll get over as far as I can, do a track stand and look back at the motorist. They almost always pass at that point, but if they won't pass, I get going again.

Edit: The "here's why you don't wave motorists to pass" scenario

1. You're climbing a twisty mountain road
2. A vehicle catches you and starts following
3. You round a blind curve and see that IN YOUR OPINION it's safe to pass
4. You wave the motorist to pass
5. The motorist passes, gets a view of the road beyond the blind curve, thinks that it's NOT SAFE TO PASS
6. Motorist does something unsafe, like swerving into you.
I'll wave them to pass sometimes. For instance, coming over a blind hill, being followed 50 feet back by a timid cager, if there's a downhill followed by a quarter mile of straight flat road, waving the motorist forward can encourage them to close the gap and perhaps pass. If I didn't wave them forward, I'd be halfway down the road and accelerating before they could catch me, and getting into the "will another car come into view too close to finish the pass at the end of the straight?" territory. I'm pretty picky about when to do that, of course.

I will stick out a hand to indicate it's NOT safe to pass anytime that seems appropriate. I'm continue to be amazed (and disgusted) at the number of people who think it's a good idea to get around the bicyclist going into a blind turn or blind hill -- one that I can see past, and know there's a car coming the other way!
Likes For pdlamb: