Old 06-03-21, 11:33 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I don't agree with the comments that diet alone controls weight and bike riding is for health, but not weight loss. Regular aerobic exercise is definitely an important component of weight management and loss. It's not magical and it doesn' work without intake control, but the bike riding (or equivalent) unquestionably can contribute to weight loss.
I don't mean to imply that exercise doesn't help with maintaining your weight, but it's not the ONLY thing that someone wanting to lose weight should focus on. Your last sentence is what my point is all about. Yes, moving around more helps burn calories, but like you say it doesn't work for weight loss without intake control. Exercise helps unless you fall into the trap of "I walked around the block yesterday so I can eat this donut today," that is, eating back the calories you burned, and then some.

So the bottom line is, focus on your eating habits in order to lose weight, and focus on exercise in order to maintain your health. Any extra calories you burn from exercise is just a bonus, and the muscle you gain will also help you to burn more calories.