View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 01:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Back when I lived in Dublin, I used to donate at Pelican House, the National Blood Transfusion Board headquarters (we had a national blood transfusion service, not affiliated with the Red Cross). At the end of the big ward was a cafe where, after you had donated your unit of blood, you could sit down for tea and cookies or, if you preferred, a pint (Guinness being full of iron, supposedly). There would be a nurse in full uniform pulling pints, which was a sight in itself. I used to go every three months with a good friend (motorcyclist - we were both pretty sure he'd need the blood some day). Usually we'd manage to cajole the nurse into giving us a second pint, after which we'd likely write off the day and head to the pub for the afternoon/evening. Back then, if you made a minimum number of donations, you'd get a certificate and a gold lapel pin, presented by the President of the country. My old man, who was a life-long donor, has a pic on the wall of him receiving his cert and pin from Mary Robinson, the President at the time. Don't know if they still do that - don't know if they still give you beer (I suspect not).
Anyway, after I moved to the US, it turns out that my blood can no longer be used because of the risk of Mad Cow - overblown, IMO - I haven't moo'd at the moon in years....
When you walk in to the lobby of the Puget Sound Blood headquarters in Seattle you see a stone wall with an outline of a tree on it. The leaves are in brass. Each one has a 100 times donor's name engraved on it. I'm there. (Roughly 75 platelet and 75 whole blood donations.) Those donors got invited every year for a thank you dinner for donors and volunteers. Went one year. Just one of hundreds. But the moment that made it all worthwhile- listening to a young woman thanking us for the 19 pints she received during the surgery to replace her heart and liver. An issue since birth that was going to end her life.