cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm reluctant to cite Linus Pauling in discussion about nutrition because while he was a genius with indisputable achievements elsewhere, his latter career notions about nutrition, especially massive amounts of vitamin C, were wrong.
I remember picking up those recommendations from my grandparents, who were into the holistic, organic, natural, etc., lifestyle long before most folks. They had shelves full of books from Rodale Press, etc. But not all of it was based on scientific methodology. Mostly just folklore tarted up to sound pseudo-scientific.
That's why we need to remain open to falsification of opinions, hypotheses and research that turned out to be faulty.
At the same time, if taking massive doses of vitamin C or other supplements *seemed* to help my chronic ailments, I'd probably continue anyway. After all, my only defense for switching back to a primarily animal based diet is -- I feel better.
taking Pauling out of the equation, My own experiences are clearly different than yours. And documented.
But not looking to enter any drawn-out yea or nay. Certainly there aspects to any 'supplement' which can affect or not, on a personal level, and often there are deleterious effects as dosages increase. Depending on how its administered Vit C can quickly good into deleterious, or not.
As for hypothesis and research, its where the money can be made; and clearly so in the US.
Vit C is clearly not a cure-all, and as with all things, may not be effective for some - like many other 'cures'.
Given that each of us must make our own decisions on navigating a 'healthy life', we are, in fact, our own health captains, whether we choose to be or abdicate that to others (MDs, insurance co, opinion on FB...) ultimately however the decisions are made, its 100% us who experience the result of those decisions; un-proven opinion, both yea and nay, not withstanding.
Do your homework, and I'll do mine - hopefully we'll both result in more positive for each of us.
Ride On
Yuri