Old 05-23-22, 06:42 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yes, of course you can experiment within the stated min-max range for your tyre/rim combo. It was the bit where you stated that you prefer to run your pressures "higher than is ever recommended" that prompted my warning. But as long as you know what the safe upper pressure limit is then it's your call.
Oh - apologies for writing that in a confusing manner. I DO NOT recommend going beyond the recommended limits for the tire or the rim. What I meant to say is that I've put my numbers into tire pressure calculators, and they always seem ridiculously low to me. For example, with my (measured) 32mm front and 28mm rear, Silca suggests, for my 215lbs total system weight, that I should be riding 66psi in front, and 84psi in the rear. I can say for certain that I'm not a fan of how my front feels below 75psi, and I generally pump it up closer to 80psi. As for my rear, I can deal with 84psi, but I'm more comfortable at 90psi. That's what I meant by going higher than recommended.

Now, it may also be because the gauge on my Serfas pump isn't accurate, or maybe I'm just so used to riding on 23-25mm tires at 100-110psi for so long. But within reason (read: within the limits of what your tire/rim says), I say every rider should just go and experiment and see what makes the most sense to them - and different people will optimize to different criteria - personal comfort, perceived performance, time over a certain Strava segment, etc. After all, the calculators really are just recommendations.
Likes For aliasfox: