View Single Post
Old 11-25-21, 05:32 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Fairing Reduces Windchill

Latest photos. The fairing and Tailbox are made of Coroplast (corrugated polypropylene plastic). The handlebars are BMX because I can’t assume a crouch position, it’s my neck vertebrae. So therefore I can’t mass produce these fairings, they won’t fit any other bike. It is custom fit to install on this bike.
For windchill reduction, I have added extensions on the handlebar nacelles. They each have one stainless steel machine screw, and the edges sealed with blue masking tape . No need to add lots of screws, in fact I think it’s better if they rip loose in a collision, and flop around hanging by the one screw. Masking tape is cheap.
Haven’t installed the studded tires yet, I’m going to wait and see what the weather does. I have installed Tannus Armour on both wheels.
The cargo space is very small on this bike, I have other cargo bikes, based on the same parameters and construction techniques. I consider this my touring bike.
The LED Lights are also a key feature of my creations. I’ve recently upgraded to motorcycle headlights and LiFePO4 batteries. I had been using lead/acid from 1986 until three weeks ago!

I’ve decided I’m not going to start a business making fairings. It was a student project for engineering school. My fairings suit my riding habits and local conditions. You certainly would not need windchill protection in the equatorial regions of the planet. It would be suicidal to ride without good LED lighting in New York City.
Yes, I keep the design very boxy. Molded curved plastic would require expensive molds. So flat plastic board is used. For the record, the angle of the front surfaces is less than 54° , and the trailing angle of the tailbox is 11°, 5° or 6° on each side. Really the edges should be curved. Feel free to make your own, it’s a DIY project. I can’t sue anyone for patent infringement.
Likes For hotbike: