View Single Post
Old 08-04-20, 03:53 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Hostels were never quite as popular in the U.S. as they are in Europe.
But in the 1970s and 1980s American Youth Hostels (AYH) had more than 100, maybe 200.
I've long ago thrown out my guidebook, but they were mostly in the Northeast, Midwest and West.

Today, the few Hosteling International hostels are in big cities.
Nothing like the network of hostels that made it easy for cyclists.
There are still a few private hostels scattered about - run by old hippies.

Quite a few state park systems were paired with AYH - Ohio, Michigan, Washington.
There were hostels all up and down the Washington coast in old military installations like Fort Worden.
The Malabar Farm Hostel in Ohio only recently closed - an oasis on a historic experimental farm.
There still are hostels along the California coast - like Pigeon Point - just not as many.
Alberta's hosteling association operated a chain of hostels in Banff and Jasper national parks.

And the bestest of the best for people on the TransAm was Ernie's Birchwood Hostel in Missoula.
If I had a time machine, I'd like to have just one more visit.
And to thank Ernie for welcoming so many people to his home and hostel.
Not to mention the smartest little dog you will ever see do tricks.

One of the aspects of hostelling that seems so outdated and quaint is the chore responsibility.
Hostels had chore boards and you were expected to sign up for something every day.
That's one of the reasons it was so cheap. Another reason - frugal accommodations.
The Pittburgh Council shut down the Ohiopyle and Pittsburgh hostels when it became too expensive.
Basic cleaning and upkeep became too much for the staff and it just wasn't worth it any more.

In my bike tours during the 1980s, I would often spend one night a week in hostels.
I would meet other cyclists or travellers, make meals together, and talk late into the night.
You don't get that experience in motels eating take-out Chinese and texting folks in Boulder.
I sure do miss it.

Pigeon Point Hostel
Likes For jamawani: