Old 12-10-20, 12:53 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Are you shifting them simultaneously? Because that's what I usually do and I've never had problems with spinning. I can dump three gears on the back with three quick clicks of the shifter, though I do ease up on the pedal for a fraction of a second to allow for this to happen smoothly. During this split second my legs are spinning at the rate that I think I ought to be in once the gears engage, and once they do engage you are right there. Sounds like a lot, but it's really only a fraction of a second for it to happen. It does take some practice. It doesn't matter if it's 53/39, 52/36, 50/34, 46/36, 50/39/28...I have all of these.
Yeah... I guess I have to start earlier on the RD and figure out a good technique.
... maybe I'll spin up while in the big ring, shift two clicks harder on the RD and then dump into the small ring while I click another couple in the RD. Either way, I'm sure there is a more efficient way of doing it than what I'm currently doing.

It's different from shifting to the big ring, because the shift to the big ring takes longer vs. the small ring just drops in.
I think with my 105 setup, I can do multiple changes with one sweep of the big handle, but for the clicks, they are individual.
Does Di2 help with this? (I only ask because I'm considering getting a Di2 upgrade for my 40th birthday).

Last edited by Metallifan33; 12-10-20 at 12:59 PM.
Likes For Metallifan33: