View Single Post
Old 04-06-22, 03:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
46yo 280 pound rider on a Cannondale Quick-Disk 5 - 700c wheels - 36 spoke - 35mm tires. Looks like you have the right bike and the right tires yet still popping spokes. Could it be your ridding style, your bike route, big road bumps and stalls?

When I was at 280+ I was frequently popping spokes also. When I got down to 250 everything got better. I think weight could be the offender. I know of a few guys that pop spokes only when they get fully loaded up for a tour. These tour guys usually weigh in at about 180 to 220 so with all thier gear they are coming in at about 280+. Ha... That's when they start popping spokes. Strangely though I know guys who load up even more and have never popped a spoke too. Go figure...

Also when I ride some of my torn up asphalt, big pot hole routes, I can loose a spoke. In that you had a mountain bike ridding style it could be you are too aggressive in your ridding style.

Also... Over the years I have learned to keep close track of my wheels true and tension. I can build my own but prefer not to so I purchase machine built and then loosen them all up and rebuild them.