View Single Post
Old 05-22-22, 10:17 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Day 3

I DO so wish my life would settle down! Today I was finally able to get out and ride! I cheated and loaded Champagne Charlie into the truck and drove to the launch site of innumerable local cyclists, the local Y’s parking lot. From there I rolled through the last and most gracious of Greenwood’s mill villages, built to support the Harris Plant c.1950, and on to fabled Hodges. I made a slight detour to Jackson Station, the long-shuttered late night legendary blues joint where I learned everything I know about playing electric blues guitar. It’s sad to see it so dilapidated, but the men who ran it are all passed on and the place lives on in Dan Harrison’s book, so …

Champagne Charlie looks good compared to the old train depot that was Jackson Station

From there I toddled on into Hodges, but I took 178 instead of 185 just for variety’s sake. I admired the old garage and stopped for a moment to cool off near the gazebo before heading back to town.

I used to think this was the old fire station but now I realize it was probably a garage.

Hodges has seriously upped its beautification game!

I encountered a pack of local riders paused to regroup, waved and said hello and rolled on. They soon caught me, and I was amused to see a carbon fiber Trek wearing a Brooks B17. We rolled in together and I thanked them for towing me 1n and headed for the relief of air conditioning and a cool beverage.

I got in 23.3 km today, so I am now at 67.6 km total - maybe I can sneak in an evening ride or two this week …

Last edited by rustystrings61; 05-23-22 at 05:49 AM.