Old 07-17-22, 12:28 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
I think the whole point to loosing weight is eating less calories than you burn. This can be accomplished eating less. Essentially having a net calories of less than 2000 calories per day. One of the big misconceptions I had and believe many of have is the food I was eating had less calories than it did, and working out burned more calories than it actually did.

Also think the people who make the statement about losing weight can’t really be done with exercise alone aren’t cyclist who spend hours a day cycling.
Yes, to two good points.

First, paying attention to the caloric content of your food is necessary and not the same a just making sure to eat "healthy". For example, I like to eat nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, unsalted peanuts). They are indeed "healthy" foods, nothing wrong there, but they have a high caloric content and so I'm careful about how many I consume.

Second, lots of people who consider themselves to "exercise a lot" are the ones going to the gym 5 days/week for a 1 hour workout. That's not going to be much more than 600 calories/day - maybe 800 calories, tops. But I did a century yesterday and a metric today - somewhere between 8 and 9 hours on the bike, on top of the 5-6 hours I'll do on my weekday rides.