View Single Post
Old 07-18-22, 01:37 PM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Long story short, I acquired my klunker, a 1983 Serotta Club Special, one month ago for the sum of $60. I then immediately moved out of state, from Kentucky to Minnesota. Last week I was reunited with the bike and brought it back to Minnesota. Today I completed my first ride of 34 miles. I have done nothing except raise the seat post and move the saddle back. Tires are sketchy but will make it. I wanted to put new grease in bb, headset, and hubs, but I am still separated from some critical tools and I have less than a week to do my miles.

As far as ride quality, it is wonderful. This bike is a 59cm, and I normally ride 63, but I do not feel cramped. I maxed out the seat post, and I am Less than an inch below my normal saddle height. I realized at the end of my ride that the post slipped down about an inch and a half, but it was hot and I must have been miserable enough to not notice. If I keep the bike I have a longer post that will fit. I am not in “bike shape” at all right now but this bike reminds me of my 1985 Schwinn Peloton, in that the steering is super fast and the bike feels best when you are pedaling at top speed. Hopefully I can ride myself into good enough shape to do it justice!

Already loving the bike infrastructure in my new town, Rochester MN

13 mile multi use path

Some tempting gravel intersects path but I will get closer to my 100th mile before I put the 30 year old 23’s to the test!
Likes For ramones71: