cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
As of now, if there is no shoulder on either side, I simply do not ride on those roads without an obvious shoulder lane. I currently refuse to ride on roads without a shoulder on at least one side. (or at least grass or sidewalk, where I can walk the bike until shoulder is available on one side) Also, I feel its safer to salmon in a shoulder lane, than to ride with traffic in the actual traffic lane. Shoulder equals safety where you're not an obstacle impediment to cars.

It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no shoulder. For those who ride on roads with no shoulder, how do you deal with the fact that when you're riding with traffic, cars are constantly having to move half way out of the lane you're occupying? If there is not much traffic, this is not a big deal for the car, as there is another entire lane to use for passing the bike. But, during thicker traffic times, where cars are in both lanes, the bike is creating an obstacle on the road and potentially causing car accidents, particularly if there are cars in both lanes and one sideswipes another while having to avoid the bike by swerving into the left lane. Not only is this totally unnerving for the rider, but it creates a real danger for cars. This also applies to one lane roads, where the car must cross over double yellow lines to avoid the bike, thereby risking a fatal head on collision. This is an ethical line I simply can not cross.
Best practices for riding with traffic when there is no shoulder?
Not sure it is 'Ethical' issue, but certainly survival.
Way back BITD I was a rep on the road, and always had a bike with me. Rode through what became a very expanded territory from SC up to Maine and RI out to the Yoo-pers and down to Nashville.... There were many roads I wandered onto (paper road maps don;t tell you much about the road structure... LOL!) which were the old concrete roads from the 30s, 40s and 50s.
No shoulder and that 1-2 inch hard edge onto loose gravel - mostly found in the mid-east...
SCARRRRYY.... Back then, there were very, very few riders who would be on roads which held much auto traffic... SO I was an oddity and a major 'inconvenience' to cagers, and those sections were always 'white knuckle' fast for me... LOL! Quickly learned to NOT enter any road which was old school concrete... Made for some longer loops, and some interesting rides...
A country lane with no shoulder - Heaven, and the drivers expect to see me/us. Major connector without shoulders - never...
Thankfully the roads around these parts which hold regular traffic also have good shoulders or very well marked bike lanes. Bigger issue is riders who ride into oncoming traffic...
Ride On

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-08-22 at 08:42 AM.