Old 08-08-22, 10:12 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
As of now, if there is no shoulder on either side, I simply do not ride on those roads without an obvious shoulder lane. I currently refuse to ride on roads without a shoulder on at least one side. (or at least grass or sidewalk, where I can walk the bike until shoulder is available on one side) Also, I feel its safer to salmon in a shoulder lane, than to ride with traffic in the actual traffic lane. Shoulder equals safety where you're not an obstacle impediment to cars.

It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no shoulder. For those who ride on roads with no shoulder, how do you deal with the fact that when you're riding with traffic, cars are constantly having to move half way out of the lane you're occupying? If there is not much traffic, this is not a big deal for the car, as there is another entire lane to use for passing the bike. But, during thicker traffic times, where cars are in both lanes, the bike is creating an obstacle on the road and potentially causing car accidents, particularly if there are cars in both lanes and one sideswipes another while having to avoid the bike by swerving into the left lane. Not only is this totally unnerving for the rider, but it creates a real danger for cars. This also applies to one lane roads, where the car must cross over double yellow lines to avoid the bike, thereby risking a fatal head on collision. This is an ethical line I simply can not cross.

Best practices for riding with traffic when there is no shoulder?
In NC, cars are required to give me at least 4 ft when they pass, but they are allowed to cross the double-yellow as long as it's safe to do so. If they choose to pass me, say, on a blind corner or coming up to the crest of a hill, that's on them. I have no ethical responsibility for the choices other road users make. My only concern is that, having done something stupid, they swerve back onto their/my lane, and I'm pretty sure I'm fairly low down on their list of priorities when they're attempting to save their own skin.
It might feel unsafe and borderline reckless to you - it doesn't to me - I've ben doing it for 45 years - I'm a legal tax-paying road user, and as long as I'm not riding erratically and dangerously, car drivers will just have to suck it up and wait until they can pass me. They don't always like it, but them's the breaks - one doesn't get one's own way 100% when one is sharing the road with others.
BTW - "salmoning" on a bike is a really bad idea - drivers aren't expecting riders coming from that direction It's not a case that they can't see you, their brains are just not wired to accept such extraneous information