View Single Post
Old 08-14-22, 05:19 PM
enargins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
No, this flies in the face of reality. The tire didn't get pushed off the rim by the tube blowing out. The tire first was not seated fully and as it crept up off the rim the tube then expanded out that gap and very soon burst. Please understand what is the correct timing of events to better understand how to avoid then again. Andy
I understand what you're saying here. Still, the tear was along the seam, on both sides of the valve, at the very outside of the tube.
If the tire had come off the rim, causing the tube to expand and pop at that point, wouldn't the tear have been on the side of the tube, in the part that came out?
Also, I was watching the tire the whole time, and did not see anything coming out of the tire. Granted, I only saw one side of the tire. But, still, it appeared to be well-seated.

I should have also mentioned another common reason why on inflation a tire can slip off the rim and the tube go boom. If the tire's pressure is low enough and the tire can "float about" the rim if the tires on the ground the weight will push the tire's top up out of the rim.
The wheel was off the bike, in the back of my minivan, where I had my electric pump plugged in. The valve was at the bottom of the wheel, and that's where the tear happened, at the valve. So it wasn't at the top.

A foot long tube slash is nearly always from a portion of the tire bead not staying overlapped with the rim, the resulting hernia sees the tube balloon out through the gap and finally tear/explode.
As noted, I didn't see any hernia. Bead seemed perfectly seated, and nothing was coming out. Then, bam! But, again, I only saw one side of the tire.

I would test inflate the tires about 10%-20% more than they will be used at (WRT the max allowed) to insure the tire is seated well and not creeping up off the rim.
So, if the max psi is 60, you're saying to inflate to 70, check the tire on the rim, and then deflate back to 60?