View Single Post
Old 08-19-22, 07:05 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Who is taking about your “Slinky style” of braking? I don’t do that kind of braking, nor would I suggest it. When I brake hard, it isn’t to a stop or even to a super slow speed just to go around a corner. I know how to corner fast. In my experience, brake draggers are usually the ones who do the “slow-slower-slow-slower Slinky style” braking on steep, curvy downhills.
very much so, this is my observation also.
and from all the people I ride with who do this, it comes down to fear of using the front brake.
the fear of "flipping over the handlebars" is so prevalent in most people I know, or the fear of locking the front wheel and losing the front.

developing the skill of developing feel for traction is why I've always felt that skiing, mountain biking on loose surfaces, riding motorcycles on loose surfaces, is such a huge advantage to have done in life, simply because it can give you the experience of knowing by feel how hard you can brake or turn on various , constantly changing surfaces.

mind you, I have friends who have skied their whole lives, but just dont have the inherent reaction times, reflexes, eyesight, and are still slow as molasses and do the slow, slow, slower thing--so there's that too, some people just like that (and again, thats ok, just not when they make blanket statements on what is safe that they think apply to others.