Old 11-20-21, 09:01 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
My wife and I have done several tours on our Ritchey Double Switchback. Ours is configured as a flat bar touring bike.

We use paniers on a fork rack to carry our stuff. The bike is stable to at least 45 MPH with that setup. We have maybe 60 pounds of stuff on the rack.

For me, the length of a trailer is a non-starter. Some of the roads we have traveled have been pretty rough.

The bike fits in two cases for air travel. Being made of steel, we know that we can find someone to weld it in the event that it gets damaged, even in the more remote parts of the world.

We did have to replace a saddle on the Isle of Lewis and we had an alloy Spinergy wheel fail in France. Too many hits on too big rocks we encountered on back roads.

We have done as much as 75 miles in a day, and I have been warned that if I plan another trip with that many miles in a day I will not survive.
We run 700x32C GP5000 tubeless. They have been as reliable and comfortable as the Schwalbe Marathons they replaced, and they are noticably faster.

The drive train is a Box 9 speed. I had a SRAM 11 speed but I was never happy with the way it shifted.

The brakes are Hope V4 with 203mm vented rotors. Icetech rotors warped. Do not skimp on the brakes. We are fairly large people, and we seem to stop at every fabric and yarn shop we pass, so our all up weight has been as much as 500 pounds.

Our plan is to do a few more tours on the Ritchey, then switch to an eBike tandem. I don't want to put some boodge eBike conversion on the bike.