View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 07:42 AM
eddy m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
What problem are you trying to solve by ditching the rear derailer? IME rear gear changers work better than front, especially with triples. The added loss from 2 pulley wheels versus 1 is insignifcant.
If I were building a bullet proof trouble free ride, I would start with an old Shimano 600 6 speed cassette hub, the original version with flat cogs and a screw-on 13. Those are light, the axles are supported at the ends for maximum strength and make a 6s wheel with about the same offset as a 5s, which is way better than any modern wheel. You might even be able to modify it for even less dish if you replaced the 13 with a simple lock ring, or maybe get more gears by using 8s cogs and spacers. Use it with Simpex retrofriction downtube shifters. IF you only want 6 gears you don't need a front derailer at all, which mostly eliminates chain drops. Or you could go really old school with 5s wheel on 120mm spacing, and use a SunTour Ultra 6 freewheel. Wider spacing results in too much axle bending with those old freewheel hubs. All of those parts are probably more available than a 2 speed freewheel (which I've never seen) or even Biopace chainrings.

Hope this helps.

em

Last edited by eddy m; 10-01-22 at 07:52 AM.
Likes For eddy m: