Old 09-12-21, 08:24 AM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
What Should I Do With This Older Wheel? Mod And/Or Sell?

I have a slight variation on the typical "What is this worth?" question and is more along the line of "What might I do to this wheel to make it more valuable?"

I have a rear 700c wheel that I no longer use and am considering my options for what to do with it. Should I try to sell it or possibly mod it for either a future bike build or maybe to maximize its resale value?

The rear wheel has 36 spokes with a Mavic 700c CXP-10 rim laced to a Shimano RSX FH-A410 hub having a 7-speed freehub. The rim is a narrow one and the wheel currently has a an O.L.D. of 126mm.

When I first got this wheel, it had a 130mm O.L.D. that I shortened to 126mm by removing a 4mm spacer, replacing the axle and redishing the wheel. The measured rim width is 13.7mm and appears to be intended for narrow tires of 25mm or less.

I now also have a Ryde Sputnik rim that I considered replacing the Mavic cxp10 with. This has a very similar profile and ERD although these are not identical. The Mavic cxp-10 has a specification ERD of 598.5mm while the Ryde Sputnik has a specification ERD of 600mm. The big difference is that the Sputnik is wider with a 19.4mm rim width.

My ERD measurement of the Sputnik is actually different but I'm thinking whatever the Mavic's and Ryde's method for indicating specification ERD here are the same so that what matters might be the difference in ERD. This would be 1.5mm with the Sputnik having the larger ERD. That would be the difference of roughly one turn on each of the spoke nipples.

The point of possibly changing the rim would be to repurpose this wheel. It's now intended for a road bike. A wider rim would make the wheel more suitable for a commuter bike. The problem is that a 1.5mm difference in ERD might be still too much of a difference to make this rim swap feasible. I still have the 4mm spacer and the longer axle to restore the O.L.D. to 130mm.

Another possible reason to leave this wheel as is would be that I've read that there are older aluminum-frame bikes having 126mm dropouts that can't be cold-set to 130mm to accept a modern rear wheel. (I've just widened the dropouts on my steel road bike now that I've had practice doing this on several bikes.)

I don't have anything aluminum. I'm wondering if I should just leave this wheel as-is and be rid of it on either Craig's List or Facebook Market Place? The Sputnik could be saved for a future wheel build laced to a more modern hub.

To summarize: I have a rear 700c wheel having a narrow rim, 7-speed freehub and 126mm O.L.D. that I don't intend to use as-is. Should I sell this as-is or should I mod it by either installing a wider rim (if this is feasible) and/or lengthening the O.L.D.?