Old 09-17-21, 12:42 PM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’ll summarize this…

Your spoke length is probably fine. I’ve swapped out a 7 speed freehub body to 8-10, and vice versa and re-dished the wheel without any problems, so 1mm is probably not that big a deal.

Finally, do you really want to run 7 speed with 130mm dropouts? I’m not suggesting that you maximize your speeds, but going to a 130mm 8-10 wheel will give you options down the road.

John
Most of my original post was just my thinking out loud and pondering my options.

One of these may be to replace the 7-speed freehub with an 8-10, restore the 130mm OLD and change the rim. The 4mm spacer was on the non-drive side.

Looking at some of the threads here on freehub substitutions, it appears that you're the go-to guy for getting advice on such things.

I should be able to take off the freehub body after pulling out the axle. What should I look for in a replacement freehub body?

BTW, the replacement rear wheel that I now have comes with a Shimano FH-RS300 hub. This has a 6mm NDS spacer for a 130mm OLD. In the thread I referenced in my previous respnse, someone implied that maybe 128mm might be the tightest OLD that one can hope for with an 8-10 freehub body although he never explained why. Excessive dishing? Replacing the 6mm spacer with a 4mm would accomplish this.