View Single Post
Old 09-12-22, 05:20 AM
dukeofearl 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
If you're REAL careful, you can GENTLY put a channel-lock pliers around that lock ring; it's not (well, it SHOULD not be) tightened down very tight.

What's your (general) location? Shipping wheels isn't cheap; members may prefer to meet / deliver.
will give that a try - gently! i'm in philly, post updated thanks

Originally Posted by mountaindave
You need longer brakes... A rat tail file can elongate the ones you have if it's only a millimeter. Sooooo many more tire options in 700c and you get the bonus of fitting bigger tires!
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Got two Weinmann rims, concave, eyeletted (whichever model that was), but 700c. Also, whilst cosmetically they are fine, they would require some extra work on making them rounder.
As someone advised above, you could try brakes with longer reach. It's going to be something like 4-5x cheaper than replacing the wheels. Unless, of course, someone has the right wheels to trade on the forums.
it's all original and in nice shape, so i was hoping to keep it that way, plus there's tons of room on this bike for larger tires, though i know there aren't a ton of options in 27. maybe i should make a separate thread for this bike

Originally Posted by mrv
Hi Duke o' Fearl!
I got a bottle opener / freewheel removal tool plus a functional retainer ring plus a freewheel. You can see everything here: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ad-repair.html
I have the hub shell & parts as well, but I am / have decommissioned it due to the issue laid out in the post. It's still laced to the wheel. I was going to post the freewheel for sale soon - for cheap, as it is use. I got no idea how many more miles you could get out of it.
cheers!
i might wanna buy that removal tool, if you're selling it separately. going to try the pliers first but don't want to damage anything. otherwise the freewheel is in good shape, just that dang plastic thing