View Single Post
Old 06-30-22, 01:21 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
now we’re definitely exploring the range of hyperbole (to the point of being ridiculous) when it comes to GPS accuracy and error when cycling. If it gets to the point where I’m expected to call in air strikes while cycling, then I’m probably going to find something else to do instead. 🙄 But, hey, that’s just me.
Completely agree, that’s why now I live a life that is much less exciting, if you will.

Personal use: I ride in mountains, I ride in urban canyons, I ride in forests, I ride next to canals, I ride across fields…I’m slightly annoyed when I note that my displayed position has drifted. I’m slightly annoyed when there is lag, like when changing direction of travel at an intersection, or a curve, roundabout, etc. I am keenly aware how GPS works, but in the end, it’s not a big deal if it is not always within 3m accuracy when riding a bike. I can see where it is a huge deal piloting a ship or plane, and of course in the case of the personally lived example from 2009 I provided above. My 1030 (not the plus) was good enough for cycling, and never was the cause of a bad ride. The 1040 I now own is much more precise in terms of positioning. But, at the end of the day, my ability to enjoy a bike ride, commute to work, or run to the bakery is unaffected by the accuracy or lag of the device recording the ride on the handlebars.

One exception, I was in Strava looking at my personal heat map recently, and remembered a ride where I was continually about 10-15m to the left of my actual track, it was weird to see a single line on train tracks, then later in the middle of a canal, and then finally in a major highway. I remembered that ride, the segments were wonky as hell, and a multitude of them didn’t even show up, but the mileage counted, so in the end...