View Single Post
Old 04-18-22, 05:36 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hi BH, is she using a sideview mirror ?
She does use a bar-end mirror, but it doesn't show what's coming up behind her on right turns (the radar is something like 120* coverage) and on her drop-bar bike, the mirror can be set for either - both not both - the tops or drops.

Also - the radar paired to a head unit or computer shows not only how many vehicles are approaching (it tracks several and shows them as lights/icons relative to you) but how fast they are approaching. Faster vehicles are different colours (up to red) and the unit makes increasingly aggressive flashes/noises as they come at you faster.

I use a glasses-mounted mirror which I really like as I can adjust what I see independent of the bike orientation. The only problem I've ever had with that is the one time I was concentrating on trying to see if there were vehicles approaching from behind me as I was approaching a section of road that was really rough and I'd have to move into the center of the lane... and I completely missed the doberman that ultimately took me out. If you watch the video from my helmet cam, it looks like I am tracking the dog and actually watching him give chase and plow into me at the BB, but I was actually focused on the rearview mirror and was adjusting my head to sweep the road behind me as I was accelerating through 40kmh to much faster and wanted to know what to do about the rough road ahead.

Had I been using the wife's radar I would have been looking ahead, not back, as my head unit would tell me about anything I needed to know about behind.

Rare situation for sure, but proof that you can't always look forwards and backwards at the same time. Focused on the rear-view mirror I could *see* ahead, but missed the critical item (incoming dog) even though it was moving and would normally have grabbed my attention.

Another bonus for the radar is that it will pair to multiple head units so my wife and I get the same heads-up with only the 1 radar unit in use.