Old 02-21-20, 09:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
ugh as it is, there are still LOTS of disc bikes struggling to go under 6.9 kg, while almost all rim brake bikes are having to add heavy components to meet the 6.9kg minimum requirement. So no, not every UCI rider has to adhere to the same weight. It's more like rim brake bikes are forced to add weight. And like you said, the tech is there (and people are already doing it) to go to 5.5 kg.

5.5 kg vs 6.9 kg on a climb? I'll take the 5.5 kg bike any day all day if i'm doing this for a living.
They have to draw the line somewhere, and while some feel 6.9kg is antiquated, it at least levels the playing field. I remember when we thought getting under 20 pounds was light.
If, as you say, some are struggling to get under 6.9, it probably isn't by much. And, if that's true, then lowering the minimum to 5.5 would obviously put those people at a 3-4 pound disadvantage. Why would the UCI want to do that? To just eliminate disc brakes from the peloton?

People say disc equipped bikes are 500g heavier than similar rim braked models.I guess you're saying it's more like 2000g?

Last edited by big john; 02-21-20 at 09:37 AM.