Old 07-21-21, 03:51 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro00
Well, the list of suspects has been trimmed to two. I'll pull the chains later this week and take pictures of the two freewheels and rotate the spindle. If that doesn't yield an answer, I'll search for Youtube videos on removing the cranks and learn a new skill
Can BB bearings be greased? I have a tube of Park Tool PPL-1 Polylube 1000 Grease.
It could be your pedal bearings as well, but IME you feel that but don’t tend to hear it. I don’t remember if you listed your crank type, but I’ll assume it’s square taper for now. A picture will clear that up. If it’s not self extracting (typically an 8 mm allen) then you’ll need a crank puller. Not hat to use and not expensive, but it is critical the tool be fully installed by hand and used properly. The threads inside cranks are especially easy to strip out, in a not so reversible sort of way.

Cartridge bearings (at least the ones on my older Davinci) can be regreased, but once the bearings are crunchy it’s better to just replace them. Todd sells them as a spare part, but they are a common bearing. Just don’t replace them with the junk on Amazon.