Old 04-07-20, 10:01 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Interesting observations. Just goes to show that "add bearings to it" isn't always the best design move.
But "add more bearings to it!" seems to help
The bearings are just hopelessly small. Back in 1998 I took apart a Microsoft mouse, and found ball bearings bigger than the ones in these brakes, used to support the rollers that track the movement of the ball! (photo credit to myoldcomputers)

Some of the NGC450 brakes apparently came with bushings, called simply the NGC450 (without the suffix 'b' which must stand for ball or bearing or bad), but it's unclear which is which because the marking "NGC450" is on the center mount plate, which I think is the same for all models.

Paul brakes (and brake levers) use bearings instead of bushings and work fine.
Which ones? Admittedly I had been under this impression too, but then when I took apart my Paul Racers to install the Spence Wolf-style booster plates I'd machined for them, they had bushings. And on the Paul touring cantilever webpage, they specifically mention "Rubber seals and a stainless steel bushing".

Implementation is everything.
I agree, implementation is everything. My old SAAB taught me this: the pinion bearings in the transmission have a bad reputation for failure, but they're the same size and general orientation as found in other cars. They fail because they're too closely spaced and the mounting is too flexible. The subtlety of it is crazy.

Last edited by scarlson; 04-07-20 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For scarlson: