Old 04-26-21, 11:45 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I believe that ‘Effective Cycling’ would dictate that you should have been maybe further left in that lane signalling your intention to turn left while allowing any other traffic to proceed to your right in this turning option lane? Being in the middle probably telegraphed that you were going straight to anyone behind you in this particular case and lane situation. Just speculating, but in this case being in the middle wasn’t left enough to signal your intention and the other cyclist assumed he made a clean pass and didn’t try to sneak past on your right anticipating you would go straight and move to the right side of the road once you cleared the intersection.

“When approaching an intersection, position yourself with respect to your destination direction—on the right near the curb if you want to turn right, on the left near the center line if you want to turn left, and between those positions if you want to go straight.” John Forester, ‘Effective Cycling’, pp.246, 1993
My problem with taking the lane, here, is that I needed a big enough vehicle pulling up to the stop line, in order to trigger the sensor of the traffic light. Or are these sensors usually farther back than one bicycle length, in which case the car behind me would still trigger the sensor? I wonder.