View Single Post
Old 05-29-21, 10:20 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I agree with the need for good preparation, “vulcanizing fluid” is not “glue”. True vulcanizing fluid has a chemical activator in the fluid that is used in concert with another chemical in the patch to make rubber bonds. “Glue”, especially rubber cement, is missing the activator in the fluid and the chemical in the patch.
I think we are in agreement. I put the word glue in quotes & parenthesis to address the potential that the OP might have been using the terms interchangibly in his/her own conventional vernacular. Wet application/adhesion problems would indicate an absence of knowledge in this particular area.

The silver Sharpie® on the tube is actually a really good idea.

I am dubious about the poorly manufactured rubber claim. Sample size of one, & all that. However I can't completely discount it either. Recently (starting the year before last) I've had issues with Continental Supersonic tubes. For whatever reason the area around the valve stems tend to tear out. Even when knowing how delicate they are & acting accordingly, it seemed to make no difference. Truth be told, it is this frustration that drove me to tubeless.

edit: And yes, Rema! It's hard to beat Rema patches & vulcanizing compound bought in bulk on Amazon or elsewhere. I find i much prefer the smaller diameter patches, but to each his own.

Last edited by base2; 05-29-21 at 10:44 AM.