Old 07-02-21, 11:56 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Here is the long-awaited tubular rack. I welded this from scrap 1/4" stainless tubing and stainless plate, using an Orion micro TIG welder. I have used this welder to make decaleurs, and I find it incredibly user-friendly. You don't even have to use much filler metal. I haven't done much polishing just yet, pending test-fit, but the rack came out decently straight and looks like it fits the bag well. I incorporated an aluminum booster plate into the design because the posts flex outward a frightening amount, and I didn't want that fatiguing the rack more than necessary. It is a separate piece because making it out of stainless and integrating it into the rack would be heavier and harder to make.

129g weight. In your face, Compass René Herse!

Brake's a bit of a boat anchor, though, near 191g. Many dual-pivots are lighter, and old CLBs would be about half this weight.